SAS REC LEVEL ONE
For the 20/21 season, Silverton Avalanche School’s Recreational Level 1 will blend an online learning module with two instructional field days. The SAS REC Level One exceeds the educational outcomes defined by the American Avalanche Association.
This intensive, hands-on training will cover trip planning and preparation, interpretation of the daily avalanche bulletin, observational techniques for snowpack, weather, and avalanches, terrain analysis, safe travel techniques, risk and hazard mitigation and decision-making fundamentals. Students will also learn the basic elements of companion rescue and examine common pitfalls and challenges encountered by humans in terrain of consequence.
Programming Partners offering SAS REC One courses in Estes Park, Wolf Creek,
Santa Fe, Taos, Ouray and Telluride.
- Improved Avalanche Judgement and Decision-making Skills
- Expanded Situational Awareness and Perceptual Capacities
- Human influence in group dynamics
- Applying the Current Avalanche Bulletin to Tour Planning
- Develop a trip plan based on snowpack, weather and terrain options
- Make and record field observations
- Tour Preparation
- Analyzing avalanche forecasts
- Identifying avalanche terrain
- Recognizing hazardous conditions
- Snowpack Metamorpism
- Route Finding and Travel Techniques
- Using Observations and Tests
- Human Factors
- Educated Decision-Making
- Mountain Weather
- Safe Travel Protocols
- Introduction to Snow Pits
- Group Management
- Snow layer analysis
- Risk evaluation
Date & Times
New courses with availability
Do you have a small group? Contact us
Cost Includes: Level 1 Avalanche Course Manual, Waterproof Field Book, and Level 1 certificate upon successful completion of the course.
Not Included: Lodging, Food, and Transportation.
Cancellation Policy: A $35.00 fee is charged for course date transfers. 60% of the course cost can be refunded up to 30 days prior to the course start. No refunds are provided for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the start of the course for which you are registered. Unfortunately we cannot give refunds, rain checks or cancellations if passes are closed.