Do you want to try out Backcountry skiing or Splitboarding but don’t know where to begin? We are enthusiastic backcountry fanatics in Silverton and we want to share our passion for backcountry skiing and boarding with you! We know there are a myriad of choices of gear and equipment and we can help you choose what works.
Using a combination of field-based learning and indoor presentations, we’ll cover trip planning, avalanche safety and rescue, backcountry equipment use and repair, as well as uphill and downhill ski/travel techniques. During this weekend course, we will access the extensive backcountry terrain in the San Juan Mountains. Being immersed in the mountains allows for more field time and an intimate interaction with the snow environment providing a perfect intro to the skills needed for accessing the backcountry!
Our 2 day course teaches you the basics of being in the backcountry. This course starts with the fundamentals and our progression eases you into the sport and ensures you have a really fun time.
This is designed to prepare you to take a Level 1 avalanche course and maximize your experience by setting you up with the right skills.
- Backcountry etiquette
- What gear you need and how it works
- Downhill skiing in powder and variable snow conditions
- How to dress to stay warm and comfortable in mountain conditions
- Moving uphill efficiently; setting a good skin track
- Basic navigational skills and choosing the right tour
- Intro to basic avalanche awareness and safety equipment
- Basic rescue concepts
- Backcountry etiquette
- Intermediate downhill travel. Can you comfortably ski “blue” runs at a resort?
- Moderate fitness. Able to travel uphill at altitude for 1 hour.
Course is 2 days, 8:00am-4:00pm daily.
- Dates: TBA
- Time: Course is 2 days, 8:00am-4:00pm Saturday and Sunday
- Cost: $400 per person
- Cost Includes: Avalanche safety equipment (beacon, shovel and probe). Affordable rental packages available: (splitboards,skis, boots, poles, backpacks, skins)
- Not Included: Transportation
- Venue: TBA | Silverton, CO (Unless Stated Otherwise)
- Cancellation Policy: A $35.00 fee is charged for course date transfers. 60% of the course cost can be refunded up to 30 days prior to the course start. No refunds are provided for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the start of the course for which you are registered. Unfortunately we cannot give refunds, rainchecks or cancellations if passes into Silverton are closed.