The Professional 2 Avalanche Course is the capstone course for professional avalanche workers in the United States. The course is designed for developing and seasoned avalanche professionals with several seasons of applied professional experience who are looking to develop knowledge, skills and abilities to prepare them for leadership roles within their operation.
The Pro 2 represents best practices for operational development and leadership within the US avalanche industry. The course is a mix of pre course work, intensive collaborative classroom work and intensive field work. Instructors function both as teachers and mentors during the course.
This course is a rigorous experience both in the field and in the classroom.
The 2021 course will have a mix of webinar and online course work. The time in Silverton will be primarily field based.
We use the Pro 2 Proficiencies and Guidelines document as the industry standard guidelines for student evaluation.
Students receive a course manual, field book and access to online content.
- Mapping avalanche terrain
- Producing an avalanche forecast
- Knowledge of avalanche formation and release
- Operational risk management
- Team leadership in high risk environments
- Analyzing snow weather and avalanche data gathered from professionals and the general public
- Analyzing snow, avalanche and weather patterns on multiple scales in time and space
- Written professional communication in the form of a technical report and presentation
Follow us on: