Hut-Based Intro to Backcountry Skiing & Boarding
Do you want to try out Backcountry skiing or Splitboarding? We are enthusiastic backcountry fanatics in SIlverton and we want to share our passion for backcountry skiing and boarding with you! This course is designed for people new to backcountry skiing/splitboarding. We know there are a myriad of choices of gear and equipment and we can help you choose what works.
This course is based in a hut high in the beautiful San Juan mountains. Food and accommodation is all inclusive in the fee. Being immersed in the mountains allows for more field time and an intimate interaction with the snow environment.
Our 2 1/2 day course teaches you the basics of being in the backcountry.This course starts with the fundamentals and our progression eases you into the sport and ensures you have a really fun time.
This is designed to prepare you to take a Level 1 avalanche course and maximize your experience by setting you up with the right skills.
- Backcountry etiquette
- What gear you need and how it works
- Downhill skiing in powder and variable snow conditions
- How to dress to stay warm and comfortable in mountain conditions
- Moving uphill efficiently; setting a good skin track
- Basic navigational skills and choosing the right tour
- Intro to basic avalanche awareness and safety equipment
- Basic rescue concepts
- Intermediate downhill travel. Can you comfortably ski “blue” runs at a resort?
- Moderate fitness. Able to travel uphill at altitude for 1 hour.