Hut-Based Intermediate Backcountry Skiing & Boarding
This course is based in a hut high in the beautiful San Juan mountains. Being immersed in the mountains allows for more field time and an intimate interaction with the snow environment.
SAS’ Intermediate Backcountry Skiing takes students who’ve graduated from an AIARE Avalanche 1 course and builds on backcountry touring skills/techniques for planning and engaging in ski tours independently. The majority of this course is in the field and has a small student to instructor ratio.
- 5:1 student to instructor ratio
- 3 Full days.
- Advanced Tour Planning
- Variable Snow Skiing techniques
- Advanced Navigation (using traditional maps along with modern apps and GPS)
- Multi-day Touring
- Advanced Rescue/Survival Concepts
- Avalanche Terrain Navigation
- Advancement in Snow Safety Practices
- Gear/Transition Efficiency
- Mountain Weather
- Advanced uphill techniques
- AIARE Avalanche 1
- Advanced downhill travel. Can you comfortably ski “black” runs at a resort.
- Good to excellent fitness. Able to travel uphill and downhill in the backcountry for 5-7 hours.
- Comfortable with your backcountry equipment (know how to use, comfortable uphill and downhill, proficient with avalanche beacon-shovel-probe)